Biodiesel Production Course
The Biodiesel Production Module will examine the different types of engines and their combustion properties. It will explore the fascinating history and pros and cons of using biodiesel. Students will learn about the chemistry of the biodiesel production process, including titration, transesterification and the importance of ASTM fuel standard and OSHA safety considerations. Also covered will be proper feedstock collection and preparation, and operation of the BioPro 190 production system. Market opportunities and economic analyses are included in the curriculum as well as the importance of RINS, tax credits and effect of scale.
This course will include:
- Introduction to Produce Development Cycle
- Six essential project elements
- What is biodiesel?
- Why biodiesel? Pros and Cons.
- Benefits and Applications
- Diesel engine fundamentals
- How biodiesel is made
- Chemistry of biodiesel: transesterification
- Safety procedures
- Do titration
- Make small batches of biodiesel
- Analytical tests: 3/27, soap test, flash point test
- Introduction to BioPro 190
- Operation of BioPro 190
- Quality control – ASTM 6751
- Biodiesel economics: biodiesel as a business opportunity
- Production development cycle
- Project team evolution
- Financing Issues
- Workshop discussion